Monday, September 26, 2011

Make it Yourself Monday: Eco-Friendly Liquid Hand Soap

For a long, long time, I bought hand soap on an almost weekly basis, usually either a store brand (if I was feeling cheap), or a more expensive brand from a specialty store.  
Then I started reading the ingredients. The soaps my family and I had been using contained multiple unpronounceable ingredients. For example, virtually all conventional hand soaps (and most other conventional body cleansers) contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, a known neurotoxin (For more information, visit the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep website).
Like many changes in our household, the decision to use a more natural hand soap was born out of concern for toxic ingredients, but also out of the need to find a less expensive alternative. 
Instead of costly and chemical-laden traditional hand soap, I use a combination of Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile Soap and plain water.  
All you need to make your own liquid handsoap is a reusable foaming pump like this one from Amazon, and a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s -- any type.

Fill up the foaming pump bottle nearly full with plain tap water. Add 1 tbsp of Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap. That’s it! 
Since there is only .5 oz in each tablespoon, and Dr. Bronner’s is $.40/oz at Amazon right now, you are only paying $.40 for each bottle of hand soap you make.  Considering an average store-bought dispenser of hand soap costs between $2 and $6, that is quite a savings, especially if your family is like mine and does a LOT of hand washing.
I’ll be honest -- there are plenty of other recipes floating around cyberspace for making your own liquid hand soap. I like my Dr. Bronner’s mixture because I think it’s the easiest. When I run out, all I have to do is fill up the container with water, add a tbsp of soap, and screw the top back on.  I can’t see myself making anything that involves boiling soap scrapings. I never thought I would talk on the internet about Mama Cloth either, though, so never say never!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At September 26, 2011 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Carlye Jean Rankin said...

Thank you so much for this idea. My husband and I use so much hand soap and this would help us so much. I have to wash my hands a lot since I have a daughter in diapers and I take care of another one in diapers as well.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

With two little ones, we do a lot of hand washing in our house too. :)

 
At September 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Anonymous Amy said...

Thanks for dropping by! Following you back!

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

 
At September 27, 2011 at 7:23 AM , Blogger HealthfulMama said...

We use a Dr. B's/water mix, too! (Except I was using a lot more soap than 1T. Good to know I can cut back!)

 
At September 27, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Veronica Lee said...

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing this!

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
Have a nice day!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 8:50 AM , Blogger One Cool Lunch said...

Thanks for sharing! New follower here. Please follow back!

Jen
www.onecoollunch.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home