Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oh, Aldi, How I've Missed You!

I got lazy over the summer, and in an attempt to consolidate my food shopping, went exclusively to Wegmans, and supplemented with whatever came in our CSA share. Now that the school year's back in session, and easy lunches need to be made or brought every day, I need to be a little less lax, and for some items, Aldi is definitely the more cost-effective choice.  


For example, my husband brings a ham and cheese wrap with pretzels to work every.single.day during the school year.  I can buy all the ingredients for his lunch for less than it would cost to purchase comparable items at Wegmans.



According to the above list, I will save $4.81 by shopping at Aldi only for my husband's lunches; not including anything else that I can find there.  For more information about Aldi/Wegmans comparisons, check this post 



Here's what I actually bought this week: 


Yeah, we go through a lot of cheese. It's pretty much the only thing my 20-month-old will eat, so we have shredded cheese, string cheese, sliced cheese, and block cheese. So, yeah. Lots of cheese.  I was also excited to see Nature's Path organic granola bars for only $2.39 a box. I love when I find random organic items for deep discounts at Aldi's -- don't forget to check the special bargain bin!

Total Spent: $26.49

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At September 21, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger lisa g. said...

I definitely find that Aldi's is a worthwhile trip, especially for pantry staples. In addition to what you've mentioned, I buy eggs, orange juice, frozen waffles, cereal and some canned items for less than Wegmans prices (and I LOVE Wegmans!!). My kids are still at the age where they are not picky about whether food is brand name or not :)

 
At September 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Ellery said...

Ok-I have never even heard of any of those stores you mentioned! What a great bargain though.
Following you back from www.MomsLifeMadeEasy.com.
Thanks!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Lisa -- Even though Aldi's in some locations have raised their prices, I do find that they still have the best deals. I'm not thrilled though by the fact that every loaf of bread they sell has HFCS. I just always make sure to check the ingredients. Although I'm a lot more lax about my husband's lunches than I am with food for my kids. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home