Friday, September 23, 2011

Frugal Friday: Homemade Apple Leather

With apple season upon us, I have been making quarts and quarts of applesauce for the past two weeks. My family never has a problem eating applesauce as is, but I’ve been searching for some other ways to use all that sauce! Lately my kids have been loving Wegmans new Fruit Flats, which are basically a healthy fruit roll-up, made with apples and other fruit flavors. Those are fine, and an easy snack, but of course I wanted to try making my own!  It was so easy that calling this a recipe seems kind of ridiculous, but here’s how to make your own apple leather:

1. Line a cookie sheet with plastic wrap. I used my Silpat because it is reusable, and plastic wrap is not. 
2. Spread about 2 cups of applesauce on the plastic wrap, about 1-2 cm thick. 
3. Bake in the oven for 4-6 (yes, you read that right!) hours at 150. 
4.When you take it out, peel it gently off the plastic or Silpat. 

Apple leather can be stored for months in a tightly closed container in your cool, dark pantry.  This is easy snack for kids (and adults!) that takes very little effort to make, is sweet and delicious, and best of all is completely natural and healthy. 
I used apples from my parents’ orchard for the applesauce I used to make the leather in this recipe, and it turned out scrumptious. The best thing is that I know exactly what has been done to the apples (not a thing!) and what has been added to them (again, nothing!).

Labels:

9 Comments:

At September 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Raia said...

This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this! :o)

 
At September 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Im A Silly Mami said...

Ding ding ding - I'm your 100th follower - LOL! Wow, I've never seen how they do fruit roll-up. Thats pretty cool. following you back.

www.imasillymami.com

 
At September 23, 2011 at 3:54 PM , Blogger FatMumRun said...

oh my I didn't realize how easy it was to make this. Totally going to give it a go.

http://www.mwac.net

 
At September 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM , Blogger KG said...

I think that's a fantastic idea! I will definitely try that!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Nora said...

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
-Your new follower!

 
At September 24, 2011 at 7:25 AM , Blogger tiff snedaker said...

This looks so delicious and something that I could definitely make!

Following from the blog hop, and would love a comment here or a follow!
http://www.babesandkidsreview.com/2011/09/nature-made-vitamins-a-better-me/

 
At September 25, 2011 at 2:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I never knew how it was made! Hi! New follower from the FNF blog hop! Please follow back. Thanks! Through the Eyes of a Tiger

 
At September 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM , Anonymous Katie @ Imperfect People said...

I have a food dehydrator I got at a yard sale for $4 and it makes YUMMY leather. We did strawberries in the spring. And I make sun dried tomatoes like it's nobody's buisness! LOL didn't know it i was so easy in the oven though! Good to know

 
At September 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I never would have thought to do sun-dried tomatoes in a food dehydrator. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home