Friday, August 26, 2011

Frugal Friday: Zucchini Freezer Waffles

Zucchini is still going strong in our CSA boxes lately. I feel like I've tried every preparation of zucchini that I can think of:

I've done sweet, savory, side, main, and everything in between, it seems!  But I'm not done yet!

I had an unexpected block of time to myself this weekend,  and a giant zucchini from 2 CSA boxes ago staring me in the face.  I knew I wanted to make freezer waffles -- these are a great  healthy afternoon snack for the kids, especially spread with a little homemade strawberry jam -- yum!

So I pulled out my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, Bridal Edition  - one of my absolute favorites -- and went to work doctoring up their recipe for waffles to include some healthier ingredients.  And yes -- it included a TON of zucchini!

Healthy Freezer Waffles
(inspired by Better Homes & Gardens)

  • 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 3/4 cup white flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp baking soda
  • 2 tbs raw honey (only for children over age 1)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup finely shredded zucchini (I used the finest setting of a box shredder)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

1. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. 
2. In another medium bowl, beat eggs, then add milk, honey, zucchini, and cinnamon.  Add this mixture to the flour mixture, stir until moistened.
3. Pour 3/4-1 cup batter at a time into a heated, greased waffle maker. Bake 3-5 minutes, until waffle is golden brown and slides easily with a fork out of waffle maker. Repeat with remaining batter.


This recipe is easily doubled, and can be frozen for up to 3 months. The waffles are easily defrosted in a toaster or toaster oven, and taste great spread with a little organic jam. 

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At August 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Cami said...

Cool recipe...thanks :)

<3-Cami from First Day of My Life

 
At August 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Blogger lisa g. said...

I tend to always have technical difficulties when using my waffle maker...I thickened the batter by adding more zucchini, and made pancakes instead....YUM! Thanks for the recipe, I especially like that they are not too sweet!

 
At August 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm glad you liked them. I do like that they are not too sweet; They are so healthy but feel like a treat especially with a dollop of homemade jam.

 
At August 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Katie said...

mmm I love zucchini so I'm all about trying this recipe!

 
At August 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Awesome Katie! Let me know what you think! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home