Friday, August 5, 2011

$5 Fridays: Even MORE Zucchini!

This is for all you wonderful locavores who are getting zucchini in your CSA baskets Every.Single.Week!


I thought we were in the clear when I looked through yesterday's basket, but nope! Nestled between a cucumber and some collard greens was that distinctive dark green vegetable that is slowly becoming the bane of my (cooking) existence.


So, because I haven't posted a zucchini recipe in, oh, a day and a half, here is some MORE zucchini!


Today's $5 recipe is for Zucchini Boats. I've seen these made a TON of different ways, and you can put almost anything in them, but I like this recipe because it is cheap, flavorful, and can be adapted to whatever vegetables you have on hand.


Zucchini Boats
4 medium- large zucchini, sliced lengthwise and hollowed out 
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced 
1-3 cloves garlic, diced 
1 tbs parsley
1/4 cup fresh basil, torn into large pieces
1/4 cup bread crumbs (any kind, I used Wegmans' Italian Seasoned)
1 cup diced vegetables -- I used sweet peppers and tomatoes since that's what came in the CSA basket this week
1/2 cup cheese -- mozzarella or feta both work great
Salt & Pepper to taste


1. Mix up the onion, garlic, parsley, basil, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, olive oil, and diced vegetables in a medium bowl.
2. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the hollowed out zucchini.



3. Sprinkle cheese on top and broil or grill until browned and bubbly. 


I would like to thank my friend Jan for inspiring this recipe; a short video demonstration can be seen here on my Facebook page. (And, as suggested by a 3 year old on the video,  you can add chopped up pork or bacon if you feel so inclined).


**Note** I haven't included specific prices for these ingredients, because produce prices vary so much by season and throughout the country. Everything except the cheese and the bread crumbs came from my CSA basket this week, so my total out of pocket was only about $1 (although I realize I paid for my CSA stuff, but that was back in May).



Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM , Blogger AdventuresFrugalMom said...

new follower from blogging class would love a follow back http://adventuresfrugalmom.blogspot.com

 
At August 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Theresa said...

What a great way to use zucchini. We have lots of zucchini to use. Looks like something great to try on the grill.

Stopping by from Blogelina's Profitable Blogging class.

 
At August 5, 2011 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

So glad you stopped by, Adventures and Theresa!! I'll see you in "class!"

 
At August 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

Looks good!

Michelle @ MakingSenseofCents

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home