Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Easy Zucchini "Chips"

In my never-ending quest to come up with delicious ways to get my family to eat all the zucchini that winds up in our refrigerator, I decided to make Zucchini "Chips."  I got the idea from -- of course -- Pinterest.  In fact, head over here if you'd like to see all my Pinned zucchini recipes!


I used this recipe from Urban Veganista for inspiration, but as you'll see, I completely changed the recipe.  I think, however, that maybe I should have stuck to the original. Even though mine tasted savory and delicious -- my sick-of-zucchini husband had two helpings -- the texture was a little flabby.  Here's the recipe -- but it's still a work in progress:


Easy Zucchini Chips
1 large zucchini, sliced into super-thin rounds (I used my box grater, but a mandoline would be perfect)
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1. First, assemble your ingredients. Then slice up the zucchini.
2. Next, mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and pour the milk in a separate bowl.
3. First dip the sliced zucchini in the milk, then dredge in the bread crumb mixture.
4. Lay in a thin layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, flip, and cook for 3-5 more minutes. I used the toaster oven because I hate using the real oven when it's over 80 degrees out!


While these taste absolutely heavenly, I wasn't able to get the texture quite right, and I can't decide if I should cook them longer on low heat or shorter on higher heat.  I'm fairly certain, though, that frying these in hot oil would be absolutely perfect. 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look yummy :P I would probably try the hot oil.
I'm a new follower :) Can't wait to read more.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Glad to see you, Christina! I definitely think I'm going to fry them next time. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home