Friday, July 29, 2011

$5 Friday: Crab Salad with Veganaise Dressing

Several weeks ago I was chosen by Moms Meet to participate in a sampling of Vegenaise brand salad dressing.  Yes, I said it -- Vegenaise. While it's still sort of a dirty word in my house (thanks to my carnivorous husband!), I have had only rave reviews of this product (and the resulting salad) from pescatarians, locavores, and meat-eaters alike.  Thanks to all the free samples I received, I have been using Vegenaise for a ton of different things, and it doesn't have any sort of weird eggless aftertaste. 


I recently used it to make a Crab and Pasta Salad for a potluck picnic with friends. It traveled well (on one of the hottest days of the year!) and tasted delicious.


Crab Salad with Vegenaise Dressing
1 box (12-16 oz) Elbow Pasta -- $.69
1/2 package imitation crab -- $1.75
6-8 oz Vegenaise -- $2.30
1 cup of CSA veggies, chopped into bite-size pieces (I used zucchini --surprise!-- cucumber, and onions) -- approx. $1
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Celery Seed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper to taste


1. Cook pasta until al dente. Do not over cook. Drain and chill in the refrigerator 1 hour.
2. Mix up dressing: add celery salt, celery seed, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to the Vegenaise. Mix thoroughly. Set aside.
3.  In a large bowl, combine the pasta and the vegetables. Add in the dressing and mix well.


Serves 4 as an entree, 6-8 as a side. 


Total Cost= $4.74


Note: I was not compensated  for this post, nor do I have an "arrangement" with Follow Your Heart Vegenaise. I was selected to sample this product and my opinions on it are my own.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home