Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Make It Yourself Monday, Errr- Tuesday: Easy Peasy Peach Tart

As you can see I'm about 24 hours too late for my Make it Yourself Monday recipe feature. The beginning of the school year and all its related tasks and business are really catching up to me! Anyway, I was inspired to make this Peach Tart by one of my friends, who was inspired by Real Simple.  In its Real Simple incarnation, this recipe is for a 3-Ingredient Nectarine Galette, and was featured on the cover of the July 2011 issue. My friend recreated the recipe perfectly and deliciously for a recent playdate.


Of course, I couldn't just keep it a 3-ingredient recipe; I had to tinker a bit with it.  I  decided to use fresh, locally grown peaches, and add some seasonings. One thing I didn't change: the store-bought crust.  I actually attempted this peach tart last week using a homemade crust -- but, for some unknown reason, I didn't use my great-grandma's tried and true pie crust recipe. The tart turned out to be a crumbly mess.  I had to keep adding flour because the dough kept sticking to my wooden rolling pin, but the more flour I added, the crumblier it became. It was a disaster.  Don't get me wrong -- I still baked it, ate it, and picked the crunchy crumbs off the bottom of the pan with my fork.  It tasted great, but it certainly wasn't pretty.


Because I was expecting company for dinner last night, I really didn't want to take a chance, so I purchased Wegmans' pre-made refrigerated crust for my second attempt.  Result: it worked beautifully, tasted like gooey, sweet, late summer amazingness, and was completely demolished in one sitting. :)


Easy-Peasy Peach Tart


For the filling:
3 large or 4 small fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cloves


For the crust:
1 store-bought refrigerated pie crust
1 tbsp egg white (I just put the remainder of the egg in a container in the fridge and scramble it up later)
1/2 tbsp sugar


1. Unroll the dough and press gently into a tart pan or a small pie pan. There will be extra hanging off the sides; that is what you want.
2. In a small pan, combine the peaches, water, sugar, and corn starch. Simmer on medium low for 10 minutes. Add nutmeg and cloves and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
3. Take the peach mixture off the heat and pour it carefully into your dough.  Gently fold over the extra dough, so it looks like this:
4. Brush the exposed dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. 
5. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, checking halfway through, until crust is brown and filling is bubbly. 
5. Cool slightly and enjoy. This would be amazing accompanied by fresh organic vanilla bean ice cream.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At September 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Jen at A Heart Full of Love said...

That looks so yummy! I will have to pin your recipe so I can make it later.

Thanks for following. I am now following you back.

 
At September 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Candice said...

Mmm...I love peaches and vanilla ice cream! I'm your newest GFC follower and would love for you to follow back :)

http://www.wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.com

 
At September 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Blogger thecrunchywife said...

Holy cow that looks amazing. I might have to make this :) YUMM!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home