Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Overnight Peach French Toast

In October’s All You magazine, there is a section on what to do with canned fruit.  First of all, the idea of canned fruit is annoying at best, and kind of gross at worst, but stay with me.  One of the recipes featured was an “Overnight Peaches and Cream French Toast.”   I had two beautiful, overripe, local peaches (from Mason Farms in Williamson, NY) sitting on my counter, begging me to transform them from soft and mushy to juicy and delicious. I knew they would be perfect for this recipe -- but of course, I had to doctor it up a bit first. 
Overnight Peach French Toast Bake
(inspired by All You, October Issue)
1 small loaf challah bread (I prefer homemade, but Wegmans has a passable substitute)
4 large eggs
1 cup milk (any kind -- I used Almond Milk)
3 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
For Topping:
1-2 cups of sliced peaches
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1. In a large, buttered, glass baking dish (8x8 works well), arrange the bread slices so they are covering the entire bottom of the dish.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together  the eggs, milk, 3 tbsp brown sugar, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
3.Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Arrange the peach slices on top, and sprinkle the additional 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. The next day, bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, until the top is browned and all the egg mixture is cooked.  Serve hot and dig in!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Carlye Jean Rankin said...

Looks delicious!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Blogger nsees said...

I have some canned peaches that I canned last year...this will be perfect. I'll definitely be trying at some point...thanks!

 
At September 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM , Blogger HealthfulMama said...

This looks amazing. Peaches *AND* challah? Holla!

 
At September 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

*Every* time I tell my husband what kind of bread I use, he yells, "Holllaaaa!" :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home