Monday, June 6, 2011

Make it Yourself Monday: Guest Post!

My friend Kristin is a great cheerleader for this blog; she's also an awesome mom, wife, and friend. I'm excited to share her own Make it Yourself experience today. Here it is:


Thought I'd share a make-your-own adventure: I made my own hummus today! 
I've been buying a 20 oz tub of Cedar's hummus every week for what seems like ever. It is the most cost-effective brand for me, $4.99-5.99 at Hannaford depending on sales (we live in the boonies so driving to other stores just isn't worth it with gas being so expensive). I've known for a long time that I should try to make it myself but just never got to it. Well today I did, finally. 
Just blend 2 cans of garbanzo beans (will be using Eden's Organic with NO added salt from Amazon, $15.20 for 12 cans), 3+ tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp (sea) salt, 2 cloves garlic and 3+ tbsp olive oil and a little water (depends how much lemon juice and olive oil you put in). 
Next time I will do the beans in small batches as I almost burned out my blender-- it was smoking by the time I got it all pureed. Final cost for a fairly big batch (probably around 30 oz?) around $3. I didn't have tahini, which most recipes include, but it was good without it. I'm guessing I saved at least half and it's probably healthier. Yay!


Thanks Kristin! I'm so happy you are being inspired to be creative and do make it yourself versions of favorite grocery store foods.  I buy a lot of hummus too and look forward to making it myself and saving money!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home