Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tutti-Frutti Muffins

Now that it's CSA season, I'm going to share some of the recipes I use that include all the delicious, fresh, seasonal produce we're starting to see!  I just made this muffin recipe for a school picnic yesterday -- they are fast, easy, and wonderfully fruity.

I originally got the recipe for "Orange Blueberry Muffins" from BakingBites.com,  but I never have the exact combination of ingredients in the house at the same time for some reason. So I improvise.  The last three ingredients are completely adaptable, but I like orange extract, cranberry-pomegranate juice, and fresh blueberries.

Here's the recipe (but you probably will want to double it!):

2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c room temperature butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp orange OR lemon extract
3/4 c fruit juice -- orange is great, but I've had fantastic results with (the ubiquitous) cranberry-pomegranate.
1 1/2 c berries, fresh or frozen

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bow, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and zest.
4. Add 1/2 of the flour mixture, then add the juice.
5. Add in the rest of the flour, and fold in berries carefully -- do NOT overmix.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes for mini-muffins, or 15-20 minutes for full-size muffins.

Just try to keep these in the house. I was going to post a picture, but they're gone already!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home