Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Aldi's Trip: Under $20 AGAIN!

I had both kids with me for my shopping this week, and since Aldi was only my first stop, I really wanted to get in and out.   I was thrilled to see that they had Lifeway Kefir (or “strawberry milkshake” as my kids know it!) for $2.49/bottle again.  They also had Bolthouse Farms 100% Organic Carrot Juice for only $2.69/bottle (normally $4.29 at Wegmans). I didn’t buy any though, because I’ve never tried carrot juice.  Is there a reason why I should?
I also found blueberries from New Jersey for only $1.99 -- I prefer to buy local, but both kids were with me and were dying for them, so I figured that would be a good treat for cooperating at the store.
The total was $19.59, and here’s how it broke down:
Whole Milk, 1 gallon -- $1.95
Lowfat Kefir -- $2.49
Wild Salmon, 1 lb -- $4.49
String Cheese, 12 oz -- $2.99
Smoked Ham, 1 lb -- $3.29
Blueberries -- $1.99
Butter quarters -- $2.39
Sadly, the price of butter is up $.10 since the beginning of June, but Aldi’s price is still cheaper than Wegmans price of $2.79.  I’ve been shopping at Aldi for about 2-3 months now and I definitely see a difference in my grocery bill. I need to scrutinize my receipts to come up with an exact amount, but I would say at least $10/week. But part of that may be a combination of menu-planning and shopping with a list.
Here’s what my trip looked like:


Oh, and as a side note, I saw the sidewalk chalk I bought for $2.69 a couple weeks ago at Aldi's at Wegmans today. It was "on sale" for $5.99. So glad I shopped around!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At June 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Blogger amuhleisen said...

How often do you shop and how many stores do you go to? We do biweekly menu planning and try to get as much as we can in one trip at one store. So the second week, when money is getting tighter, we only have to pick up bread, milk and maybe some fruit. I've been considering shopping around some but I'm not sure if it's worth the struggle with hauling the kids around and all that. Maybe we'll try it for a month. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

 
At June 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I generally shop once a week at 2 stores. Now that I have a pretty good pantry stockpile built up, and I'm getting produce from my CSA every week, I can get by with shopping every other week. I generally stop at Aldi for milk and cheese every week, but that's about it. I typically go to Aldi and Wegmans, but once a month I'll go to BJ's Warehouse Club for certain things that I know are cheaper there, and about once a month I'll stop at Target, Walgreens, or CVS if I know there are some good free deals.

I have definitely found a bi-weekly trip to be good for the budget, especially if you have a good pantry built up to plan meals around.

I understand it's hard hauling kids around to multilple stores. I try to shop without my kids, but sometimes it's just not possible.

 
At June 22, 2011 at 2:22 PM , Blogger steph chows said...

Hmmm I'm an all at wegmans fan just to make things easier.. but maybe I'll have to give Aldi a try :)

 
At June 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm never going to give up Wegmans. But shopping around definitely helps me stay within budget!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home