Thursday, September 1, 2011

Host a Labor Day Picnic for 8 for under $30!

Photo Credit
When it comes to frugal living and keeping the grocery budget down, I am always derailed by the cost of entertaining. Either I go overboard in an attempt to impress my guests (thus spending too much), or I avoid entertaining altogether in order to save money. 
I realized this week when I was doing my Wegmans Match-Ups that I could probably throw together a healthy, fun picnic menu for 8 lucky guests without busting my budget.  
First, I’ll share my menu, then I’ll show you my money-saving plan. :)
Menu: 
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas w/ Homemade Salsa
Chips & Guacamole
Fresh Cucumber Salad
Edamame
Fresh Corn on the Cobb
Fresh Fruit & Whipped Cream
Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?  If you were invited to this party, would you know it only cost $30 to put together?
Here’s how I’ll do it: 
Slow Cooker Fajitas and Salsa
Philadelphia Cooking Creme, Plain -- $1.19 at Wegmans when you use this coupon
Small Jar of Newman’s Own Salsa Use $1/2 from 8/28 RP = $1.49
1 ear of cooked corn, cut off the cob = $.40
1 1/2 lb Chicken -- breast or thighs =$2.00
Burrito Wraps = $.99/8 with this Wegmans coupon
CSA Cucumber Salad (This is made with ingredients I will get in my CSA basket this week, so no out of pocket cost. The prices listed are if you purchase the items at Wegmans)
2 large cucumbers = $.89 each x 2 = $1.78
1 medium sweet onion = $.75
1 large tomato or 1 cup cherry tomatoes = $1.00
Oil, vinegar, salt & pepper, and fresh herbs to taste = cost negligible, pantry items
Chips and Guacamole:
Late July Snack Chips -- $1.50 when you use the coupon here
Wholly Guacamole -- $3.99 with this coupon
Edamame:
Cascadian Farms Edamame, $1.69 with the coupon here
Corn on the Cob -- 1 dozen= $4.00
Dessert:
Fresh Strawberries, $4.99
Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream -- $2.69 (add a pinch of sugar and vanilla when you whip it up to make it really flavorful!)
Drinks:
Homemade Rose Hibiscus Ice Tea -- Use a pitcher, about 5 tea bags, water, and the sun to create a delicious late summer treat = $1 
Total Out of Pocket: $29.46 -- and if you have a CSA and use what you get in your basket, you can create this menu for even less!
I’d love to hear your ideas for entertaining on a budget!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At September 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your menu sounds super yummy, and its cheap, easy and healthy!

 
At September 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I love entertaining, but I don't have an unlimited budget, so I was inspired to think of an affordable way to do it!

 
At September 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Dana said...

Kroger has your corn on the cob in husks 10 for $3.00

 
At September 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Wow! Where in the country are they 10 for $3.00? That is a great price!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home