Tuesday, August 30, 2011

BJ's Wholesale Club: August/September Shopping Trip

I don't think I've ever spent less than $100 at BJ's since I became a member. I was determined to really reign in my spending this week even though I wanted to get a few things at BJ's this week.  With tax, I ended up spending $71.22 after coupons, which I was happy about.


What I was less enthused about is that the trip consisted mostly of processed snack foods.  While my husband and I prepare healthy, whole foods at mealtimes, looking at the photo of this shopping trip made me realize I haven't been as mindful as I could be about the snack foods we eat. 
See what I mean? Minus the grated parmesan and maybe the hummus, almost everything is a processed snack product.  If I'm being honest I will say that you are looking at a month's worth or more of snack foods -- we certainly don't go through this in one week. Still, looking at this picture is motivating me to be  more creative in terms of making homemade, less processed versions of these snack foods.  I'm open to ideas!

Here are the sale items I picked up:

Nutella, 26.5 oz (x2) -- $3.79 each using (2) $1/1 coupons ($1/1 from 8/28 RP and Printable no longer available). I bought 2 because this is a stock-up price; the 13 oz jar at Wegmans costs $3.99.

Annie's Cheddar Snack Mix, 20 oz -- $5.99 - $1/1 BJ's Coupon = $4.99

Stacy's Pita Chips, 24 oz -- $4.99 - $1.50/1 BJ's Coupon = $3.49

Dove Minis -- $9.99 - $2 BJ's Coupon = $7.99

Berkely & Jensen Trail Mix -- $9.99 - $2 BJ's Coupon = $7.99

Total Before Coupons =$80.72
Total Savings - $9.50
Total Out of Pocket = $71.22 (includes tax)
Percentage Saved = 12%



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 31, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Here is a DIY Nutella recipe http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/01/homemade_nutella_recipe_1.html I looked into making it but the cost of hazelnuts would be insane for me. Pita is one of the easiest breads to make and is often used as a first project for kids. You could always make pita, cut into wedges and bake them. Cheese crackers are never cost effective, unless you get your cheese dirt cheap. I have yet to find a recipe that doesn't use a pound of cheese.
Good Luck!

 
At August 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Heather! I think making my own pita chips is a great idea. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home