Friday, September 9, 2011

Frugal Friday: Homemade Salsa with my CSA Leftovers

It’s funny how, when you put an idea out there -- into the vast wide universe -- it comes back to you.  Not to get all hippy-dippy, but this weekend I was thinking about making some beautiful fresh salsa with a few leftover tomatillos I had, and later that day, my brother-in-law offered me all the tomatoes I could pick from his garden. Score!

I had to use these up, and I knew I had more than one serving’s worth of salsa here, so I decided to freeze what I made.  
First, I gathered everything from my pantry and refrigerator that could remotely be a part of a salsa. I found:
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Jalapenos
  • Small green peppers
  • Sweet Onions
  • Tomatillos

Perfect ingredients for a beautiful, fresh salsa -- and all hand picked and organically grown!
Second, I started chopping everything together. I did this in batches, using my Pampered Chef Food Chopper. I seriously love that thing. Of course, both kids loved banging it on the cutting board. It provided a solid seven minutes of entertainment for them before they ran back off to play dinosaurs.
Finally, I seasoned the salsa with a pinch of salt, black pepper, and a touch of cumin, and ladled it carefully into my mason jars. Isn’t it pretty?
I’m so looking forward to opening the freezer in the middle of winter and finding this delicious salsa. It will add a fresh, healthy kick to plain cheese or chicken quesadillas, which my kids absolutely love. 
We only have one more week of our CSA deliveries. I’m glad I’ll have this little reminder of late summer tucked away in my freezer.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home