Friday, September 2, 2011

Frugal Friday: Cucumber-Tomato Salad

It's so funny how the best dishes sometimes result from literally throwing together leftovers.  Since we have the CSA, we get a huge variety of vegetables every week that we may or may not have bought if we were getting our produce at the supermarket.  And since it takes effort and planning to use it all up every week, I invariably find myself with about-to-turn veggies in my crisper.  
I got the idea for this salad by watching a beautiful heirloom tomato look sadder and sadder on my counter for several days. When I ransacked the fridge to find something to go with it, I found a cucumber that was getting pretty flabby. Add an onion for bite and garbanzos for protein, and this is a salad that my family absolutely raved about. Who knew?

Cucumber Tomato Salad
1 large cucumber, sliced in thin rounds
1 large tomato, cut into small chunks
1 medium onion, sliced thin
handful of chives
1 can garbanzo beans (I used Eden Organics)
1-2 tbsp EVOO

Toss everything gently and serve chilled. Tastes even better the second day, after veggies get a chance to marinate in the dressing. You can't even tell the vegetables weren't picked that day!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Cami said...

OH YUUUM! Nice and easy...and sounds tastey :)

<3-Cami from First Day of My Life

 
At September 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I really think the Dill herbed vinegar adds SO much.

 
At September 8, 2011 at 6:59 PM , Blogger stacymakescents said...

That sounds like a great twist on the salads I've had of this sort in the past. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for posting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home