Monday, July 18, 2011

Make it Yourself Monday: Hoisin Sauce

Last week I was looking for a recipe to use some ground beef and sliced cabbage, and came up with this Mu Shu beef.  It called for hoisin sauce, which I don’t happen to have on hand.  I was determined to make the recipe, so I found a homemade version on Food.com, which I  adapted using ingredients in my pantry. 

20 Oz. Vegetarian Hoisin Sauce (Certified Kosher)Authentic Hoisin Sauce is typically made with soybean paste, which (shockingly!) I didn't have on hand.  Soy sauce substitutes for the soybeans in this recipe. 

This hoisin sauce would taste great in a variety of dishes: as a dressing for slaw or salad, a marinade for chicken,  a stir-fry sauce, or a glaze for grilled shrimp.





Hoisin Sauce
8 tbsp soy sauce OR Worcestershire sauce ( I realized after I started that I only had 2 tbsp soy sauce, so I made up the difference with Worcestershire, and it tasted fine)
4 tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp molasses
3 tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds (toast on a cookie sheet in the oven for 3-5 minutes, checking frequently and turning once)
Whisk all ingredients together until the consistency is even. 
Makes about 1/2 cup -- enough to marinate 1 pound of chicken or to dress 1 recipe of Mu Shu Beef

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At July 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM , Blogger lisa g. said...

oh wow...so easy!! It never even occurred to me to make my own, I just bought a jar of it (at Wegman's of course!) to have on hand. I'm definitely going to try your version though.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Many of my Make it Yourself ideas come from the fact that I am out of something. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home