Friday, July 22, 2011

$5 Fridays: CSA Edition Part III

Right at the beginning of the CSA season, I posted my basic recipe for Kohlrabi Slaw.   With our CSA, we get a double share and split it with my dad and step-mom. Well, they're on vacation this week so every time I look in my crisper I see 6 kohlrabi bulbs and about 100 carrots staring back at me.  


They're so beautiful that I couldn't stand to see any of it to go to waste, so I tweaked my Kohlrabi Slaw recipe a little and came up with this meal.  We had it last night, and again -- both kids ate every bite!  And no, that doesn't happen all the time, or even most of the time!
This $5 Friday meal is sort of a mish-mash of a couple of ideas, but it's a good way to make the most of your CSA veggies.


I used the Barbecue Marinated Chicken from My Once a Month Slow Cooker Freezer Cooking from the Stockpile day.  It involved literally dumping 3-4 chicken breasts in the crockpot, covering it with barbecue sauce, and turning it on low for 5 hours. That's it.  I'm happy to report that it held up to freezing and thawing perfectly and was tender and juicy. 




For the Kohlrabi Slaw, my only goal was to use up a bunch of veggies and apples that were "on the edge." I used:

  • 4 whole kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and julienned
  • 20 carrots (the CSA carrots are much smaller than supermarket ones), peeled and julienned
  • 1 onion, peeled and julienned
  • 2 organic Granny Smith apples, peeled and julienned
Dressing: I normally recommend Wegman's yogurt Coleslaw dressing, but I was out, so I made my own!  Whisk together the following and mix it with the vegetables:
  • 1 cup Mayonnaise (I used Vegenaise because I had several jars from a Green Moms Meet sampling opportunity)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp mustard seed 
  • 1/4 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp poppy seeds
The dressing turned out sweet, tangy, and delicious with the tart vegetables and sweet apples. 

This meal was quick, easy, kid-friendly, and didn't involve turning on the oven! Perfect for a heat wave!

Total Cost:
3/4 lb boneless chicken breast -- $1.25
1/2 jar barbecue sauce -- FREE ( used $1/1 coupon from 5/15 SS on a $.99 jar at Target)
Kohlrabi, Carrots, & Onion -- $2.50 (I'm guesstimating based on the cost of our CSA)
2 organic apples -- $.70 at Wegmans
Dressing -- $.25 (Vegenaise was free)  you could use Wegman's Coleslaw Dressing for $2.29 using this week's coupon

Total Cost= $4.70

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home