Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kohlrabi= German for Delicious


All week I've been thinking up delectable things to do with  what will be in my CSA (community-supported-agriculture) box on Thursday.  The strawberries and rhubarb are a no-brainer, and I have no problem whipping up a delicious, fresh salad from the salad greens, spinach, and radishes.  The kohlrabi, though, had me stymied, until my husband reminded me of the amazing kohlrabi slaw I made last year.  


I'm embarassed to say that when I first saw it in my basket, I didn't even know what it was. Always the etymologist, once I found out that "kohl" means cabbage in German, I immediately decided I was going to make a slaw with it.If you're stumped by this bulbous, Sputnik-shaped growth in your CSA box, here is a fabulous recipe that will have you falling in love with kohlrabi.


Kohlrabi Slaw, serves 4
2-3 large kohlrabi bulbs, stems and outer skin cut off, julienned
1 large onion, diced
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup Wegmans Yogurt Coleslaw dressing (or whatever cole slaw dressing you prefer)


Mix it all up, refrigerate, and you have a beautiful, healthy summer salad!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home