Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Wegmans Trip: $63 and Shopping Alone!

This is the first week of “summer vacation” for my husband who is a teacher. Of course, vacation is a misnomer because he’s working all summer doing various things, but it’s generally only half days so I have a little more time to do the things I need to do without a toddler and a preschooler underfoot. I was thrilled to be able to get to Wegmans yesterday and get some deals without the drama we had last week.
When I looked at my receipt, I realized there were only seven items for which I didn’t use coupons or Shopper’s Club. They were: 
Hot Dog rolls
Bread
Ricotta Cheese
Chocolate Chips
Bananas
Chicken Sausage
String Cheese
I’m kind of annoyed with myself because I know I could have gotten many of these items cheaper had I gone to Aldi’s this week, but I just didn’t want to make another trip. Overall, though, $63 for the week is well below my cap of $80/week, so I’m ok with it. For sure I spent the most money on cheese -- what can I say, we love our cheese in this house!


Here are some of the deal highlights:
French’s Worchestershire Sauce -- $1.49, used $.75/1 in 5/15 SS insert, Final Price=FREE
Stacy’s Pita Chips -- $3.99, used $.55/1 in 6/26 SS insert, Final Price=$2.89
Pull-ups Moist Wipes - $2.49, used $2 off coupon from Vocalpoint, Final Price=$.49
Colgate Whitening Toothpaste - $1.89, used $1/1 in 6/26 SS, Final Price=$.89
Dove Men+Care Deodorant -- $3.99, used $2/1 in 6/26 RP, Final Price=$1.99

My final tally for this trip:
Total Before Coupons & Discounts: $81.33
Manufacturer Coupons: $11.80
Doubled Coupons: $3.80
Shopper's Club Discount: $2.07
Total Out of Pocket: $63.66
Total Saved: $17.67 (28% off)

Who else had a great (or not so great!) shopping trip this week?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At June 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM , Blogger amuhleisen said...

Any chance you could post a sample of what your weekly menus look like pretty please with a cherry on top? Thank you so very much!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Absolutely! Breakfasts are some variation on cereal, toast, oatmeal, and fruit; Lunch is similar -- cold cuts, leftovers, Pb&J, or grilled cheese and fruit. My dinners this week are:
Monday: Homemade Mac & Cheese (will post recipe soon -- yum!) and CSA greens
Tuesday: At extended family's
Wednesday: Homemade chicken "nuggets" (breaded and baked or grilled) with Alexia sweet potato fries (used coupon from FB)
Thursday: Leftovers: Mac & Cheese with chicken and CSA salad
Friday: Chicken Sausage & CSA veggies
Saturday: Chicken on the grill & CSA veggies on the grill

I know it's heavy on chicken this week, but it's easy, cheap, and my family likes it. The "CSA veggies" are whatever we get in our box -- I usually either grill, saute, or roast them.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Blogger amuhleisen said...

I wish I could get our grocery shopping down to under $70 a week. I think our weekly average is in the low $90s. I should start keeping closer tabs. This week I spent $179.68 between 2 stores. So that is $89.84 per week. But we'll probably have to get milk, maybe some bread and no one can live without ice cream. lol I'm going to keep tinkering. I'm new at all this so we've just started stocking up on good sale items. We just made a pantry area in the basement. Thanks for sharing your menu too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home