Monday, May 30, 2011

Make it Yourself Monday: Memorial Day Edition


Since this is a holiday weekend, and many of us are honoring the troops with parades and picnics, I though homemade barbecue sauce would be a great Make-It-Yourself idea for this week. 
Let’s be honest, store-bought barbecue sauce is not that expensive. I bought 2 bottles at Wegmans for $1.49 each last week. But sometimes you either run out, or you’d like to make your own concoction that is free of artificial flavors and preservatives. 
I originally got this recipe from Emeril Lagasse from the Food Network, but I have tweaked it to my own tastes. It’s extremely adaptable.
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup ( I found Hunt’s No-HFCS for $1/bottle at Price Rite)
1/4  cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon dark molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Stir all ingredients together vigorously, making sure to dissolve all the sugar.  Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can use it immediately, but it will taste better the next day, after the flavors have a chance to meld.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 30, 2011 at 7:32 AM , Blogger Bird Stalker Photography said...

I have never made barbecue sauce but that sounds delicious.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home