Monday, July 11, 2011

Make it Yourself Monday: Easy Pickled Radishes

We have radishes in abundance from our CSA box this week.  So far I’ve prepared them in the most obvious ways possible: in salads and in a stir-fry.  After discussing it with my Stepmom, she gave me the fabulous idea to make Radish Pickles! She is one of the best cooks I know, but there have been a few times where she tells me how “easy” a recipe is only to have me completely bungle the whole thing. 

This recipe is super-easy, for real. I whipped these up in 10 minutes, and then refrigerated them overnight.  
Radish Pickles
5 Radishes
1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Add the cider vinegar, brown sugar, and salt to an 8 oz mason jar. Make sure to leave room at the top for displacement when you add the radishes (My kitchen rug now reeks of vinegar. You figure it out. Guess I should have taken physics.) Mix gently.
 2. Cut the radishes into strips, whatever size you want your “pickles” to be.
3. Add radishes to the jar with the vinegar mixture, cover,  and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Variation 1: For my second batch, I kept the radishes, vinegar, and sugar the same, but added 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp soy sauce, and one smashed garlic clove.  They were divine.  
Variation 2: Use the original recipe but add one hot pepper to the jar. This will give the pickles a nice spicy kick.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home