Sunday, May 8, 2011

Make it Yourself Monday

One of the things I would like to share on this blog is versions of popular processed foods that I usually make from scratch -- which saves money, packaging waste, and more often than not, time!


I’m starting with something small. Everyone in my house loves Mexican food. For years, I would always buy those pre-made packets of taco seasoning, or chili seasoning, or enchilada seasoning. One day, I didn’t have any of those packets (retail $.99-$1.29) and it occurred to me -- why don’t I just make my own?


After a little tinkering, this is what I came up with:


2 tsp. chili powder

1 1/2 tsp paprika

1 1/2 tsp cumin (I usually am a little heavy-handed with the cumin -- love it!)

1 tsp onion powder

3/4 tsp garlic salt

1/2 tsp salt


Feel free to make any substitutions like onion salt for onion powder. Just be sure, though, that if you do use more onion salt or garlic salt, you decrease the amount of table salt.


Also, this is the recipe for the equivalent of one seasoning packet. You could easily double, triple, or quadruple the recipe and keep it in a sealed container. If you do that, use about 3 tablespoons per recipe.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home