Monday, May 23, 2011

Make it Yourself Monday: Pan-Searing Flour

Wegmans is smart.  Really smart.  In many of their Menu Magazine recipes, they promote products that you can only buy at Wegmans.  Makes sense, right?

On some of these products, though, I found with minimal thought you can make it yourself for much less money and hassle.

One of these products is Wegmans Pan-Searing Flour. For $1.99, you get 10 oz of "special" flour in which you can dredge chicken or fish in preparation for searing in oil.   I was totally on the bandwagon with this product, until one day I went to use it and realized I only had 1 teaspoon left -- not enough to season a whole batch of fish.

So I read the ingredients. They are: Enriched Bleached Flour, Sea Salt, Spice.

Really?

That's it? Flour and salt?

This is an easy one.

Pan-Searing Flour -- enough for four 4-6 oz pieces of meat or fish

1/4 c White flour
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp other spices (Basil, cumin, or paprika, depending on the type of recipe I am making)

Mix all together in a bowl, dredge meat or fish, then cook.

Original Price: $1.99
Make it Yourself Price: pennies.

2 Comments:

At May 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

I've been making that for years :)

 
At May 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Stacey -- You're smarter than me! I couldn't believe I'd been paying $1.99 a jar for years before I --duh! -- read the ingredients!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home