Friday, August 12, 2011

Frugal Fridays: Chicken Quesadillas with Fresh Tomatillo Salsa

You might have noticed that I changed the post title from $5 Friday to Frugal Fridays. I wanted to have a little more leeway regarding recipes that I'd like to share with you!


Today's Frugal recipe comes almost completely from this beautiful CSA basket that came yesterday:


The fresh cherry tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos, and onions were just begging me to make a salsa. Because I always plan my meals around condiments, quesadillas sounded like a fabulous accompaniment, especially since I had some leftover chicken from my freezer cooking extravaganza.

Chicken Quesadillas
  • Tortillas
  • Shredded chicken (I used 2 breasts, this is a great way to stretch your protein and use up leftovers)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 onion, diced finely
  • 1 ear of corn, cooked and cut off the cob
Sprinkle all ingredients in between two tortillas and bake in the toaster oven for 5 minutes at 400.

Tomatillo Salsa
  • 5 large tomatillos
  • 5-6 cherry tomatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
Finely dice all the vegetables and mix with the spices.  The beauty of this salsa is its fresh simplicity.  All local, organic ingredients, picked fresh just hours ago. Gorgeous!


 The bright, sweet tomatoes really pop in your mouth, and are a perfect accompaniment to the cheesy, gooey quesadillas.  


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home