Friday, July 8, 2011

$5 Fridays: Dessert Edition!

(photo credit HERE)

Am I the only person who has actually foregone dinner in order to have lots of room for dessert? I'm embarrassed to say how often I do this! I decided to deviate from the $5 Dinner theme this week, and do a $5 dessert.   My family loves desserts, and far from being an afterthought, they're often the highlight of the meal.  I have brought these Blondies to many family gatherings and they are always gone -- sometimes before we even eat dinner. And the best part (besides the fact that they are really cheap to make) is that they can be made in one dish so there is less to clean up.


Rum Butter Blondies 
(adapted from SmittenKitchen)


8 tbs melted butter (1 stick) -- $.69
1 cup brown sugar (I like dark, but you can use light) -- $.40
1 egg -- $.12
1 tsp pure vanilla extract -- $.42
1/2-1 tsp rum extract OR 2 tbsp Rum or Kahlua $.70 (for 1 tsp rum extract)
pinch salt
1 cup flour -- $.14
1/2 cup butterscotch chips -- $1


1. Melt the butter in the microwave for 1 minute in a glass bowl (plastic doesn't work, trust me!)
2. Add sugar to the butter and mix. Add the egg and mix.
3. Add vanilla, rum, salt, and flour (in that order).
4. Fold in butterscotch chips.
5. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes in an 8" square glass pan (or comparable size)


Make sure to wait until these cool to take them out of the pan and cut them -- if you're too impatient, they'll end up half in the pan and half on the cooling rack (again, trust me!)


Total Cost= $3.47


Just try not to eat the whole batch by yourself. :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home