Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday's Grocery Round-Up

This week’s grocery total exceeds my normal budget of $80/week. I ended up spending $128.35 between 4 stores after coupons.  Before you mentally chastise me for falling off the coupon wagon, did I mention that that number includes 40 pounds of chicken?

When I was perusing the Sunday paper trying to see what was on special and matching up deals with coupons, I noticed Palmer's had a special on boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.49/lb.  Of course, that “rock bottom price” could only be had when buying 40 pounds of chicken. 
That’s a lot of chicken. 
I realized this when I got there and the man behind the counter asked me if I had a special order. Um, no? Since I had Emma with me, I also needed help getting to my car. A 40 lb box of chicken is heavy!
Anyway, it was worth it to go out of my way.  Since the low price at my normal grocery store is $1.99/lb, the extra trip out to Palmer's would net me $20 for 40 pounds. In addition, if I use 2 pounds of chicken for 3 meals a week, I will not have to buy chicken again until October 4.  Nice.
When I was at Palmer’s, I popped across the street to the Freihofer’s outlet, where I got 3 loaves of bread for $3, and 2 bags of wraps for $1.29 each. Many cities have bakery outlets -- I highly recommend trying to find one in your area for great deals on bread, rolls, and bagels.  Just make sure to read the label -- many of these products are made with high fructose corn syrup. 
The only other purchase of note this week is that for $24.94, I obtained ingredients with which I intend to make a year’s supply of laundry detergent and hair conditioner. 
How? Stay tuned. 

40 lbs of chicken before. . . 
and after!



2 Comments:

At August 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've been seeing it at $1.29 lately (the past 2 months) ... thinking I need to really just buy 40 lbs and BE DONE! :)

 
At August 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Wow -- that's a really good price. I haven't seen it that low in NY. But yes -- definitely stock up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home