Thursday, June 16, 2011

What's in YOUR CSA basket this week?

I was absolutely thrilled to pick up my first CSA (community-supported agriculture) basket this afternoon. If you are unfamiliar with the term, basically a CSA is sort of like being a shareholder and a farm is the "corporation."  The customer invests money (and sometimes time) at the beginning of the season, when farms need an infusion of cash, and then gets paid dividends in the form of the freshest, most beautiful produce all summer long. 

Our CSA farm is Maxwell Creek Farms in Sodus, NY.  The farmers there really focus on organic, sustainable methods of growing herbs and vegetables, and it definitely shows in the lovely, healthy food we receive from them each week.

Some of what you can see in the picture is already gone: we had a gorgeous salad of fresh lettuce, baby salad greens, and radishes for dinner.  I'm planning on grilling the asparagus tomorrow, and I'm sure the strawberries won't last past breakfast. 

Yes, you correctly see TWO luscious bunches of rhubarb in my basket this week. When I went to the pick-up house today, I mentioned to the woman who lives there how excited I was to get the rhubarb, and she offered me hers! She said she was sure, but I think when I send her the recipe for Big Crumb Rhubarb Coffee Cake she may regret that decision. 

Everything in the basket is pretty much accounted for, and we've only had it for 4 hours! I can't wait to see what we're getting next week!

Did you get a CSA basket this week? Leave a comment and tell me the best thing you made with your fresh produce. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home